Saturday 24th March
Dep Sydney 9.45 pm Emirates – 14 hr 30 min flight time, Arrive Dubai 5.15am. Dep Dubai 9.10 am Emirates – 6 hr 15 min flight time, Arrive Rome 1.25 pm Sunday.
Sunday 25th – Saturday 31st March – ROME
- Trevi Fountain & Spanish Steps
- Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill
- Vatican//St Peter’s Square/Sistine Chapel, Vatican Museums, Tour to
the Necropolis under the Basilica of St Peter – see St Peter’s Tomb.
- Churches from Angels & Demons (Santa Maria del Popolo, Santa Maria della Vittoria, Sant’Agnese in Agone, tour of Sant-Angelo Castle (Secret Castle) including Passetto di Borgo (secret passageway that connects it to the Vatican), Piazza Navona (Fountain of the Four Rivers)
- St Clements Basilica & Mamertine Prison
- Via Crucis (Stations of the Cross) – Good Friday 9:15pm, the Pope leads the stations of the cross, near the Colosseum. This ritual procession commemorates the fourteen stages of Christ’s passion and ends at Palatine Hill.
Saturday 31st March – Tuesday 3rd April – NAPLES
Train from Rome to Naples. Pick up hire car.
- Naples oldest Catacombs – Catacombe di San Gennaro
- Tunnel Borbonico (Bourbon tunnel)
- Easter Sunday Service/Mass
- Mt Vesuvius
Tuesday 3rd – Friday 6th April – POSITANO, AMALFI COAST
Drive to Positano, Amalfi Coast via Sorrento (2 hours)
- Isle of Capri/Blue Grotto
- Walk of the Gods
Saturday 7th – Monday 9th April – ASSISI
Drive to Assisi (5 hours)
- Chiesa Di San Damiano Convent (1.5 km olive tree-lined walk to the church where St Francis first heard the voice of God.)
- Eremo Delle Carceri caves (where St Francis would head for silent contemplation).
- Basilica Di Santa Maria Degli Angeli (where St Francis lived) – 16th century basilica encases the original tiny 10th century Porziuncola chapel.
- Basilica Di San Francesco – 1 hr English tour led by resident Franciscan friar.
Monday 9th – Friday 13th April – TUSCANY
Drive to Tuscany (2 hours)
- Do pasta making class with host for dinner (& unlimited wine)
- San Gimignano & Chianti wineries or Siena
- The David (Galleria dell’Accademia)
- Climb to the top of the Duomo
- Ponte Vecchio
- Pizza & Gelato Making Class
- Climb Leaning Tower of Pisa
- Lucca (bike ride around walls)
Friday 13th – Monday 16th April – CINQUE TERRA
Drive to Cinque Terre (2 hr 30 mins)
- Walking tracks Riomaggiore & Manarola from Corniligia
- Walking tracks to Monterosso & Vernazza from Corniligia
Monday 16th – Thursday 19th April – MILAN & LAKE COMO
Drive to Milan (3 hours)
- Da Vinci’s Last Supper Tour.
- Drive to Lake Como for the day (2 hours)
- Do cruise around Lake Como to Bellagio
Thursday 19th April – Sunday 22nd April – VENICE
Drive to Venice Mestre Railway Station & return hire car (2 hours 50 minutes)
- Gondola Ride
- Basilica di San Marco (St Mark’s Basilica)
- Rialto Bridge
- Doges Palace
- Island of Murino
Sunday 22nd April – Wednesday 25th April – AMIENS/VILLERS-BRETTONEUX
Fly from Venice to Paris then pick up hire car. Drive to Amiens (1 hr 30 mins)
- Visit Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery and the Australian National Memorial & Sir John Monash Centre.
- Visit Great-Uncle William Alfred Swannell’s gravesite, Puchevillers British Cemetry.
- Private William Alfred Swannell, Service No 4293. Shot 23/7/1916, Died of wounds 24/7/1916 aged 28. Australian Infantry AIF 2nd Battalion. Australian 1st Division. Died at Pozieres, Battle of the Somme. Grave Reference II. A. 6.
- First Australian Division Memorial, Pozières – Close by is the ruin of the Gibraltar blockhouse, taken from the Germans when the Australian 1st Division attacked, took and held Pozières village between 23 and 26 July 1916. A new memorial park adjacent to the First Australian Division Memorial features interpretive displays telling the story of Australia’s role in the Battles of Pozières.
- Drive to Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium (2 hours). 8.00 pm Bugler Sounding of the Last Post
- DAWN SERVICE AT AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL MEMORIAL, VILLERS-BRETONNEUX
Wednesday 25th – Thursday 26th April – PARIS
- Eiffel Tower at Day
- Eiffel Tower & Arc de Triomphe at night
- Climb to top of Arc de Triomphe
- Walk along the Seine River & Champs-Elysees
- Visit Monet’s Water Lillies at Musee De L’Orangerie
Dep Charles De Gaulle Airport 9.50 pm Thursday 26th April Emirates – 6 hr 40 min flight time, Arrive Dubai 6.30 am. Dep Dubai 10:15 am Emirates – 13 hr 50 min flight time.
Saturday 28th April – HOME!
Arrive Sydney Airport 6.05 am.